If you can write the batch files and edit the conf files then there is
no problem.  I am talking about companies and individuals that slap a
Linux box up as a webserver and think there safe just because they are
using Linux.  I had a client, a local ISP that did that.  Every box they
had was compromised and they did not even know it.  They called me in
after deciding a firewall might be a good idea.  When I showed them what
was happening to there systems they were shocked.

<rant>
The sad fact is that security is a joke at most companies.  I reported
problems with the road runner (Time Warner/AOL broadband) network and
have never heard anything from them.  I ran across this by accident and
was shocked.  3 months later it is still the same.
</rant>

As for the remote administration of NT/2000 boxes.  I have used SSH for
NT/2000 and the resource kit tools to do just about anything from the
command line.  Much faster.

--------------------

IMHO, it's easier and more reliable to edit a .conf or .ini file than
point-and-click my way through a GUI.  I deal almost exclusively with
WinNT/2K and IIS, and have to make and follow checklists and scripts to
make certain I've done everything in the proper order.  The process is
time consuming and tedious, with too much margin for human error.

If I could start off with a .conf or .ini that's already been properly
configured for security, it's much easier to be certain the machine is
secure.  Auditing existing machines would be easier as well, just
compare the current .conf to the template and resolve the differences.

>From a systems administration point of view, Windows is a horrible
pain in the ass.  I wasn't a big fan of the dozens of .INI files in
Win3x, and I'm forever trying to remember where the .conf files live on
the UNIX/LINUX boxes I sometimes have to deal with, but at least I could
find, read, edit, compare, backup and restore these files without
spending a lifetime trying to decipher SIDs, GIDs and other meaningless
(to me, at least) hexadecimal strings.

Let's not talk about what a huge rectal cramp it is to try and make
these changes over a 33.6kbps dial-up connection using pcAnywhere or
WinVNC!