From: Hornat, Charles [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 07 January 2002 19:03
To: 'Baba Bogdan'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: IIS

I recently read a statistic that said apache is hacked more than IIS web
servers.  and I have also seen statistics go the other way.  I did a quick
search in google to try and see if I could find a solid believable
statistic, and was unsuccessful.  I found many individuals stating facts
without citing their references.

Besides this, Does it really matter what web server you choose?  I have
worked with many and would answer this with, the system is as secure as the
administrator of that system is knowledgeable.  I know administrators who
can secure an IIS server and others who can secure Apache.  Its like asking
which os is the most secure?  There isn't really an answer.

I am doing a study right now on OS's, and which are the most secure out of
the box and out of the box with the latest security patches applied.  The
study consist of operating systems like Solaris 6 and 8, redhat, windows and
so on.  We are using the latest nessus and nmap to scan the boxes and will
be writing our findings up on each os.

Lets face it, Apache isn't more secure than IIS.  They are both vulnerable
unless hardened and protected.

Charles

recipient, may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is
please immediately notify us by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer.

Thank you,
Standard & Poor's