> I have 2 friends who own ISPs (in partnership with
> others), and we have been discussing the possibilities
> of their using my services as an independent security
> consultant.

This sounds bad already.

> What I need help with is information on how to compose
> valid legal documents which allow me to act in this
> capacity for them.

That is easy. Hire a lawyer. YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER
compose your OWN legal documents. I don't care if you
graduated from the best law school in the world at the
top of the class. Doctors don't operate on themselves,
neither should you.

> of, and we all want to make sure that we are covered
> in this aspect before we commence security analysis.
> We just want to make sure that we cover any potential
> issues regarding the legalities of my performing these
> types of network analysis for them.
> Could anyone on this list possibly provide me with any
> links to this type of legal document templates,
> policies, laws and anything else that we may need to
> know?

http://www.martindale.com/locator/home.html

GET A LAWYER, who knows about professional relationships.

What you are undertaking is not about technology, it is about
business. It is not about being friends either.

> I have tried searching Google, CERT, SANS and some
> other sites, but to no avail. Plenty of stuff on
> internal IT policies etc., but I haven't been able to
> find anything really specific to independent
> consulting.

Those sites are not about independent consulting.

Go here:
http://www.1099.com/home.html

Go to a book store and look for info on being self-employed.

You need to cover what is expected of you, and them. EVERYTHING
including what happens if the Lord comes back, what will happen.
I know that sounds absurd, but I seen too many 'friends' become
bitter enemies because they did not understand that it is
business, not friendship. They had no plan, and ended up in
court. I am watching two friends, one was best man for the other;
battle over a partnership all because they figure as friends they
would do right by each other. The only people getting hurt are
the employees, friends, and customers who are caught in the
middle of the war.

If you are not fully prepared to lose these friends, then don't
do this. I am not saying that it will happen, but is might. Think
about it; you are going to tell them the job they do is inadequate.
(and you will have to) They may already know this, but it still
is hard to hear that you are not doing a good job. When you go
out with them as friends, there will still be a business
relationship hanging there. Not to mention what will happen when
someone cracks one of their sites.

Be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best; do what you
say you will do. My daddy told me you deal with friends (and
family) in one of two ways; they either get it free or pay
the same as everyone else, no exceptions. If you can live
with that, good luck!