From: Jason Jaszewski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 2:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Security of Private Networks

Hello all,
        If I have a Private network (with IPs of the 192.168.1.x flavor) and
run
WinRoute (which utilizes NAT), or even a Cable/DSL router,  what are
my
security concerns. It is my understanding that since private networks
are
non-routable on the Internet, it is a "relatively" secure setup.
Assuming
the boxes are running Windows 2000 and there is no software such as
VNC or
other remote admin software, what are the security concerns to have?
would assume vulnerability with email attachments, downloads, or file
sharing, etc. But, for the sake of argument, assume that these issues
are
not factors. Is there a way to get into those machines?
        In my (thus far) limited understanding of NAT, I was informed that
because
NAT creates the socket, it would be difficult to connect to a box
with a
Private IP remotely without some kind of software previously
installed.
However, based on previous list emails about the (in)security of NAT,
question this. Are there apps out there that could "trick" the NAT
box (or
router) into making a connection with another machine? Even without
remote
admin software installed, assuming the conditions above?
        Thanks in advance for answering my curiosity.....

Jason