The difference is negligible, given that the individual is an expert in
their respective operating system.  The proof is in the pudding... which
ones are *easier* to configure initially, easier to maintain in the long
run, and requires the least security patches?  OpenBSD wins *hands_down* on
the first requirement.  The 2nd depends (again) on how competent a SysAdmin
you are on the particular system.  The 3rd is highly subjective... Linux
probably requires more patching per system than most other OS's... Windows
included.  This is due to two primary influences...

1) The code is open, leading to much more peer review than found in
proprietary systems, ala Solaris and Windows.
2) Is much more widespread in use than other unices, ala the *BSD's.

That said, Solaris still requires much more patching than I'd ever put up
with in a firewall.  OpenBSD and NetBSD both require occassional patching,
but this is usually not the type of code fix that leaves the system open to
remote attack (as you've referred to).  The BSD's are wonderful in that you
can set them up and let them rock (excluding the occassional security audit).

<overused cliche>
Security is not a product, it's a process.
</overused cliche>

-J.