Hi Steve,

Norton, for instance, checks data headers, file names, checks for particular
functions, etc...It checks for signatures.

Along with that, it has a technology called Bloodhound which stands for its
heuristics analysis. It works with another technology called Striker.

These two technologies work creating a 'virtual computer' so the file can
run normally prior to interact with the user or the 'real' environment.

Maybe this file doesn't have any known signatures but, running in
bloodhound, Norton can notice particularly weird behaviours, like mbr
access, file attribute change, vb scripts running abnormal functions, etc.

Then it gives this file a stamp telling you that it's is a virus activity
and then puts it on quarentine.

This technology is really mature now and it's not likely to see false
positives.

You can go to symantec's web site and search for bloodhound. They have a
neat whitepaper explaining technically all the aspects of their antivirus
technologies including scanning functions.

all the best,

Fatfinger