Virus Scanners work both by checking for the attributes listed by steve, as
well as the checksums of the virus, the individual code made by compiling
the code.

As to Matthews question, I find that one of the best scanners out there is
Sophos Anti-Virus.

This has both a Check on Demand feature, as well as a realtime file scanner
(Interchk)

What this does (Especially on a network) is scan a file as soon as it is
opened by a program.
Also, interchk can tie into Mail Virus programs and Content filters (One
noteable example being MimeSweeper by content technologies)

Sophos also has excellent customer support in terms of ASA (As Soon As)
notification of viruses via email lists, and Interim updates, (Kind of like
Snap Ins until the next monthly CD comes out)

I have never really used Norton so I can't especially comment on the
"Greatness" of it.

HTH

Andrew Jones.