A: Tiny Firewall works pretty well, as do the ones listed below(again, maybe
not on the blackice...)
B: VNC: free, works well, plain text. Or go the terminal services route. Now,
both of these require open ports. 5900 and 3389 respectively. However you
should limit (via whichever fw you choose) which IP's you can connect
to those ports from. Agree with the below as well, cygwin is a huge
saver of angst, especially coming from a *nix background. (ls is a spinal
macro for me...)

When you get it built, poke it from another machine via nmap or the portscanning tool
of your choice, to make sure you didn't miss anything obvious. Then
hit it with a vuln scanner(retina, nessus, etc) and see if there are other
obvious holes at the app/os layer.

Again, patch patch patch. We occasionally get requests outside our norm(we do
our own builds for customers): 'i built this box, can you put it up" We scan
it thoroughly, and 9 times out of 10, we get preinstalled worms or viruses...always
patch BEFORE you open the holes to it....

Hope that helps some, let me know if you want clarification on any....t