First let me say this: never let your ISP tell you there is *nothing* they
can do.  It's a cop-out for one of two reasons: either they are completely
unwilling to help because they are afraid that by accepting even a margin of
responsibility it will open them up to higher expectations, OR they are
completely incompetent.  If this is their official stance then threaten to
take your business elsewhere.  And if they don't respond, then find another
ISP.  But I digress.

To answer your questions.  A firewall in front of your T1 won't matter
because if the pipe is flooded, the pipe is flooded.  The only way for this
to work is if your provider puts a firewall or other filtering device
*before* the traffic ever reaches your T1.  It doesn't sound like something
they are willing to do.

If you want to use an alternative T1, that is possible, but you'll have to
pay for it from your ISP.  I'm assuming that each of your servers has a
different IP.

Here are some other ideas.  Do you have an IDS?  If not, get one.  It should
help in determining exactly what type of DoS it is, as well as possibly
helping you determine if the IPs are spoofed or not.  For example, if the
range of IP addresses are varied and inconsistent, it is likely that the
attacker is spoofing.  At this point, you will need to ask/force your
service provider to start looking at their router logs to physically
back-trace the packets to some point of origin.  It is tedious, and there
are no guarantees that this will work, but if you're a big enough customer,
they just might do it for you.  Anyway, once they track down the source of
the traffic stream they might be able to contact the host and put a stop to
it.  Chances are that in order for this to work, it will require the
assistance of multiple carriers.

If the IPs are not spoofed, ask your provider to filter to the IPs at their
edge, or if they are on their own network, to contact the host.

<rant>
It is a popular misconception that their is nothing anyone can do about DoS
attacks (or more precisely, DDoS).  This misbelief has been propagated since
ebay, Yahoo, and others were brought to their knees a few years ago by
wide-scale DoS attacks and neither the ISPs nor the consulting firms
(security and otherwise) wanted to accept any accountability for what they
were warned about for years would happen.

While I absolutely agree that their is no single magic bullet that any one
group or individual can do to completely stop a DoS (especially a DDoS),
there are several steps that can be taken to *mitigate* the damage.  This
includes egress filtering by ISPs, and companies and end-users doing a
better job of locking down their machines so they are not compromised in the
first place.

Don't allow the myth to propagate any further.  If we really want better
protection from DoS attacks, then let's start forcing the ISPs to be more
responsible for securely configuring and monitoring their network.  In
today's world of heightened security needs, it is no longer enough for ISPs
to simply provide a pipe to the net.  It's time they start giving you the
service you pay for.
</rant>

Good luck,
Brownfox