From: Clinton McLeay [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 5:24 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Denial of service question.

Hello, here's my question for all of you guys and gals..
We have a single T1 line to the Internet that we use to host web pages
and such. Lately one of our computers has started getting a LOT of
traffic (from random ip's and on different ports, with tcp and udp). The
router we have is just a 2500 series Cisco which we DON'T have access
to, however the upstream provider will put in rules for us.
The denial of service sometimes goes on for a couple of days, and our
upstream says that there is *NOTHING* they can do to help us block this,
they suggest we set up a firewall, which we HAVE, but its on our side of
the T1 router... So if 1.5M is flooding in basically we are out of luck.
The question I have is:
Is there any way to help this situation? How possible is it for us to
put a firewall BEFORE the T1 line to block all of this before it hits
our poor little line, or would this even help? I don't know if this
would even be possible?
Is there some sort of way we can have a fallback line incase this
happens, and just move all of our ip addresses over to another t1 while
this is happening to this one computer, so its only getting attacked and
not EVERY server we have on that line?
Any help would be great!
-Clinton