Hi, Victor !!!
I'm not an expert but I've got a stand-alone machine running ipchains. I've
opened the ports 137, 138 y 139 for TCP and UDP. I think you should open them
but only for those machines you want to use SAMBA. I think you're trying to act
as a client so this is the actual state of my configuration:

ipchains -A output -i eth0 -p tcp -s $MYIPADDR 1024:65535 -d $SERVIPADDR 137:139
-j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -i eth0 -p tcp -s $SERVIPADDR 137:139 -d $MYIPADDR 1024:65535
-j ACCEPT

ipchains -A output -i eth0 -p udp -s $MYIPADDR 1024:65535 -d $SERVIPADDR 137:139
-j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -i eth0 -p udp -s $SERVIPADDR 137:139 -d $MYIPADDR 1024:65535
-j ACCEPT

I think you should also put the "! -y" flags in the second rule.

I hope this helps you... :-)

Bye,

P.D.1: Forgive me about my english... :-(
P.D.2: Any comments about what I've written will be appreciated.

Javier Quinteros
Universidad de Buenos Aires