From: Erik Parker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 2:34 PM
To: Drew Hallward
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Apache Security Issue

Drew,

I'm going to assume you're not behind any sort of firewall on your side..

Verizon's TOS say that users are allowed to run services, however they
block inbound port 80 on their routers. You cannot run a web server. (Some
may be able to, based on different account types, or possibly even
misconfigured local setups to them).

Verizon also blocks you from connecting to port 25 of any machine outside
of your subnet, so you are forced to use their mail server, to prevent
spam. (MSN, Earthlink, AOL.. All do it as well)

Your best bet would to be run the web server on an off port, like 8080,
and if you can, run www.yourdomain.com on another machine, that just has a
redirect to http://homebox.domain.com:8080

This isn't really security related, but I Hope it helps.