For the price of that kind of utility, you might as well physically destroy the
hdd's, and replace
them with new or used drives picked up at auction.  Price per gb at least for IDE
drives has gotten
cheap enough for this to be a plausible situation.  Just depends on how gone you want
that
information.

                    Kevin Maute

                    <kmaute@minds        To:     "Sadler, Connie J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

                    pring.com>           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                         cc:

                    02/23/2002           Subject:     Re: Unclassified Disk
"Sanitizers"
                    09:29 AM

Connie,

I found no (reasonably priced) utility when I looked at this about 2 years
ago.  I was an Air Force contractor at the time and had much the same problem
that you (probably) do.

My solution was to develop a Linux based solution to do this.  The advantage of
this was it supports both SCSI and IDE disks and doesn't care what OS/Data is
on the disk.

There was also a document that dictated that for your needs you needed 3 passes
to "clear" the data and for more sensitive needs require 7 passes to "sanitize"
the disk.

Many people that are familiar with disk technologies feel this may not be
enough but to do anything with the data that may still be on the disk requires
fairly expensive hardware and lots of time...

Kevin

"Sadler, Connie J" wrote:

> Does anyone have recommendations for freeware or shareware that effectively
> erases disks for unclassified but sensitive information? This would be used
> for all machines "retired" to school programs, etc. We need one for Windows
> and one for UNIX, if one tool can't clean both types of disks. Anybody have
> experience with this?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Connie

Kevin Maute

Educating people on the avoidable carcinogens in their lives
and how to replace them with safe, superior products.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ineways.com/kmaute
http://www.newaysonline.com