Hi,

> the safe side and use 7 passes to be thorough. If memory
> serves, seven passes is also the DoD standard (along with
> randomized non-sensitive data for the re-write).

I don't want to beat this one to death, but more than a few
questions bounce around in my head.  Any physics majors or hd
gurus out there?  Having a fair amount of experience in the
audio field, I understand the issues involved with analog
recordings but I know very little about the details of digital
media.

This seems to imply that if I re-write the same data to the same
location on a disk, the bits are magnetically stronger with each
write, or even that under normal use, I could extract (under
optimal conditions) several generations of data from the same
location on the disk.  I suppose various vendors would create
heads that write stronger signals to disk and would prove more
reliable from a security (and integrity) point of view.

Sort of going back to college, can someone point me to an
authoritative breakdown of hard drive media?  I have to admit,
my curiosity is thoroughly piqued!

Thanks,

Matthew Tallon