Just thought I would add to this, that a lot of times these counter measures
are nice - but think very carefully how you use them, as they could be used
against you ..

Two examples -

1. Reconfiguring the FW - ISS (and others) use the SAM protocol to send an
encrypted message to OPSEC firewalls to block an attack - this could however
be used against you. Say our hacker knows he has got past your firewall, he
launches an attack and suddenly he looses his connection .. it doesn't take
a genius to work out an IDS is in play... so he goes to there web site and
find one of their strategic partners (lets say its a bank and he uses their
credit reference agency) - he then launches an attack and spoofs the IP to
be the credit agency - the IDS picks it up re-configs f/w and BANG you've
lost your connection to a major business partner

2. Using RST packets - be careful with things like SYN floods as sending a
TCP RST packet back can actually create it's own DOS/flood back to the
initiating host. With SYN floods you really want the packets DROPPED not
reset

The last thing to say is the whole false positive issue - and in my
experience most customers don't use the kills as they are to afraid of
legitimate traffic will get stopped

Si

Simon Edwards
Technical Evangelist
Top Layer Networks
US Office  : + 1 508 870 1300 (x230)
US Mobile : + 1 617 953 8764
UK Office  : + 44 1252 748509
UK Mobile : + 44 7971 959170
www: www.TopLayer.com <http://www.TopLayer.com>
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Perfecting the Art of Network Security"
--------