On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 06:22, Carr, Aaron [CNTUS] wrote:
> You may wish to clarify your meaning of "retaliate".  When I think

As a HIDS we tend to think of "retaliation" (which is such an aggresive
term) more in terms of "recovery". So if someone deletes the password
file we can copy a recovery version off a CDROM. In some ways this is
real-time retaliation because you are thwarting the attackers as they
act.

What good does retaliation really get you though (apart from a whole
load of legal headache)? Wouldn't "recovery" be a better goal to aim
for?

Mark.
--
Mark Crosbie            IDS/9000 Product Architect
http://www.hp.com/security/products/ids