On Tuesday 19 March 2002 22:50, Eric Zatko wrote:

> Secondly, I will need to put Unix/Linux on a machine to use Nessus so
> I'm looking for advice. First, are there advantages to putting it on my
> laptop? If so, any recommendations for dual-boot software? Next, has

You should put it on your laptop if you have to move Nessus around.
If you want to use dual boot system, I'd suggest lilo - linux loader. It
comes with every Linux distribution and does it's job pretty well,
including the latest XP thing. (if you haven't done such things before, be
sure to first backup your data and make rescue disks, just in case).

> anyone used VMWare, and if so would it work in this application, or is
> there a better solution?

VMWare has really good networking support and you can run Nessus inside
Linux box nested in vmware virtual machine. You can make it have different
IP address than your Win box, or you can use NAT bridging.

--
Radoslav Dejanovic
Senior Associate to Mayor's Office