On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 10:14:28PM -0000, Dan Williamson wrote:
> I am looking for a good utility to erase all hard drives
> in a machine to a DOD standard. I would prefer a
> FREE utility as this is a government agency and I try
> to keep costs down.
>
> I have read that Norton Wipeinfo, BCWipe and
> several other programs wipe only the known
> partitions. I need a tool that will wipe EVERYTHING !

bcwipe claims to be able to wipe block devices.

Even without it, you could make a tomsrtbt disk that starts up and runs
dd over and over on the drive until the macnine is turned off.

while sleep 1 ; do for i in zero urandom ; do dd if=/dev/$i of=/dev/hda ;
done ; done

has always been my favorite. You get a nice quick layer of zeroes in
there every other pass.

Rob