This topic had been discussed at great length in a previous thread -
unclassified disk sanitizers; to sum it up, no a simple format will not
ensure that data cannot be recovered. What is needed is a tool that will
overwrite every physical sector of a drive with data, from the very start
to the very, very end. 'dd' will do the job just fine. However, with any
tool that you use, be careful of BIOS translation errors and verify that
the last sector of the drive had been wiped using a disk editor,
preferably with a verification system seperate from the one used to do the
wipe.

However, since the original person who asked the question works for
government, depending on the classification of the data he wishes to
destroy, this may or may not be adequate enough. Drives that house data
classified as Top Secret are generally destroyed in house.

John Daniele
Technical Security & Intelligence
Toronto, ON
Voice:  (416) 605-2041