Hardly.

Sometimes people are harmless if they don't know your version numbers.

At present exploits are merely bullets (and that's only if they've been
standardised to fit into another piece of software).... fear the gun.

Currently, hackers are not telnetting to your port 22 seeing if you have an
exploitable SSH and running an appropriate exploit against them. They are
verifying your versions via the banner with SOFTWARE and AUTOMATICALLY
running "standardised" exploits and AUTOMATICALLY rootkitting people.

Presently, I have 3 major checks against all my binaries (more coming).
Rootkitting me is probably not a smart thing to do, however I took all the
version numbers off my service banners anyhow.

This is a FAST and EASY fix for some people.

Be bloody told, taking the banners off fools the regexp - it will fool a lot
of programs (the gun) that "autohack". Remember, even the "real" hackers need
little sites to bounce off at the least. They TOO use these bulk scanners for
such things at times I'm sure.

I know for myself, if I really want to know the basics about a system I use
this: http://ar.com.au/~thefinn/hv.c

Perhaps it's better to be secure AND obscure.

Bored with this conversation, it's OLD.

l8r,
TheFinn.