D wrote:
>>>I'd go with the idea, Security through obscurity, Isn't such a bad idea,
>>
>>No, you are right, it isn't such a bad idea. It is a terrible idea.
>

> On its own, yes it is. Coupled up with regular patching of security holes,
> monitoring of logs, a good IDS that is setup to mail/page you, correct
> configurations, and a good background on security, it is actually useful.

You are right. It would seem that we are arguing about different things,
then. My claim that StO is a bad idea was based on the scenario that it
is the first (and in some cases, only) trick used to "secure" a box.
That is what I thought the discussion was about.

> Which only goes to prove how you have skipped studying current trends. Don't
> take it personally, but any admin who does that, is a graver danger to his
> network, than the most skilled cracker.

I think this bit of flamage is a bit unjustified, but I will let it go.

> Heard of a couple of exploits for openssh ? And openssh is widely used. Ever
> heard of this little script called sshscan/sshdscan ? Go take a look at the
> source.

Sure. I am familiar with both the exploits and the scripts. But do I let
ssh in through my firewall from anywhere? Certainly not.

The point here is that a good firewall config, combined with an IDS of
some sort and some good common sense, is a much better way of protecting
your stuff than suppressing a few banners and pulling the security
blanket over your eyes.

And *that* is what I have been trying to say. Sorry if I was not clear
enough. And I still stand by my claim that the vast majority of script
kiddies' tools ignore banners and just try the exploits.

--
Josh Glover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.