There are different ways to use it I think.

First you need to determin if the modem only
needs to dial out of into your network. If the
modem is only used to dial out to the legacy
system of your network then configure the modem
to only allow dial-out.

If you need to use the modem to dialin from an
external network or computer then you have
several ways. You can isolate the computer
behind a firewall but like you said you then need
to allow a lot of ports that will result in an pretty
open rulebase.

You can also have some secure way of authenticating
once the user has dialed in. RSA tokens or something
like that may be an solution.

These are just a few ideas, I bet there are more

Regards,

Brenno