At 03:27 PM 7/5/02, hantu wrote:
>List,
>
>  Recently, both ZoneAlarm personal firewalls installed on all windows-based
>machines and also on the NIDS, a lot of "protocol 88" traffic has been
>recorded.

Protocol 88 seems to be a Cisco-specific protocol:

[root@hermes /]# grep 88 /etc/protocols
eigrp   88      EIGRP           # Enhanced Interior Routing Protocol (Cisco)
[root@hermes /]#

So I guess the most obvious question first:  Do you have any Cisco gear
(particularly routers) on your network?  Any equipment that was installed
prior to all these alerts would be the first thing I'd check;  next, I'd
check ALL routers (and other 'border' equipment) for signs of a compromised
or misconfiguration.  I've seen cases where equipment (not Cisco in
particular) started literally flooding the network -- most of the network
was accessible... but VERY, VERY slow (a 100baseT section was reduced to a
few kilobytes/sec of available bandwidth).  It turned out to be a
configuration problem with a switch or something (I forget exactly what
caused it now).  May be something similar in your case...

Just a thought.

- Peter Kristolaitis