From: Ian Webb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 5:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Strange traceroute output on Road Runner for an RFC 1918
address

I get the following output when I do a traceroute from my Windows XP
machine, which is directly connected to a Road Runner cable modem
(Motorola Surfboard), to 192.168.100.1:

C:\>tracert 192.168.100.1

Tracing route to 192.168.100.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

  1     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  2    62 ms   125 ms    66 ms  24.93.66.37
  3    87 ms   220 ms     *     24.93.66.150
  4     *     24.93.66.177  reports: Destination host unreachable.

This seems weird to me, since 192.168.100.1 is an RFC 1918 local address
space. I can't think of any valid reason that a packet destined for it
would go *two* hops into Road Runner's network before getting a
destination host unreachable. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
Ian