Very interesting ... and here is why I say that: this morning I had
some complaints from my users about some sites being unreachable. A
traceroute from a DSL provider to my external interface of the firewall
would hop through and stop here:

(other hops ... irrelevant for the point I am trying to make)
(previous hop) 166.90.73.78
(stopping hop) 192.168.5.14 (!!!)

http://samspade.org/t/lookat?a=166.90.73.78

tells me:

166.90.73.78 has dubious reverse DNS of unknown.Level3.net - which is a
valid hostname, but not one that resolves to 166.90.73.78

Interesting ...

I wonder if some routers are misconfigured and started "leaking"
private IPs ?!? We just had a major issue of a similar nature (not
privates, but dropped routes!) last week with C&W, who ended up
escalating the problem to their level 3 engineering. They never told me
what the problem was, though ...

Anybody else?!?

Stef

P.S. Ian - I apologize for CC:-ing you - usually I don't do that, as
you should receive emails through the list, but the security-basics one
seems to have failed me a couple of times lately, and I am hoping at
least you receive this.