Hi Chris,

That's quite a list of improvements. I am actually saving it as a
reference.

What about physical server security, backups, backup tape storage and
access? Don't know if these are even an issue, but I figured I'd drop them
in just in case.

Nikola Vujic
sn.com | web site evolution®
phone: 610.527.2955 x227
fax: 610.519.0442
http://www.sn.com

                    "Chris Berry"

                    <compjma@hotm        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    ail.com>             cc:

                                         Subject:     Defense plan

                    09/18/2002

                    12:51 PM

    The company I work for had no security at all when I started here.
I've
made a number of improvements, but I'm trying to come up with a defense in
depth security plan, and I thought I'd run it past you guys to see if I've
missed anything.  In no particular order, they are as follows:

1) MAC address filtering on Switches & Routers
2) Internet Firewall set to deny all except for allowed traffic (both ways)
3) Disable unused services/daemons
4) Remove unused software
5) Anti-Virus on all machines plus an email scanner
6) Restrict user permissions to the minimum needed to do their job.
7) Ensure all systems are patched and up to date.
8) Set up and monitor event logs
9) Install an IDS system to catch leaks before they become serious.
10) Run an external scan of firewall with nmap to make sure the rule set
works the way its supposed to.
11) Set chkrootkit to run with a cron job on Linux boxes.
12) Install a file verification system (like tripwire) on critical systems
and servers.
13) Employ spyware scanners.
14) Restrict protocols to as few as possible, preferably only tcp/ip.
15) Set modems to ignore incoming calls, and install ring-tone filters
where
possible.
16) Ensure all remote use is via secure shell or VPN.
17) Disallow anonymous access.
18) Encrypt sensitive documents like lists of passwords, machine names, or
security info.
19) Disallow ActiveX.
20) Control allowed cookies.
21) Establish desktop firewalls.
22) Edit registry settings (win) and config files (linux) to ensure that
you
have secure defaults.
23) Put exposed servers in true DMZ (two firewalls).
24) Set linux boxes to use shadow password file

    I don't have the time to deal with a honeypot, and in an organization
as
small as ours, I think it would just reduce our security.

Chris Berry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"I have found the way, and the way is Perl."