From: Chris Berry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 4:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Defense plan

>That's quite a list of improvements. I am actually saving it as a
>reference.

I've done quite a bit of it already, but there is always room for
improvement.  Would you believe that everyone had the same password when I
got here?  Speaking of passwords, I forgot to add:

25) Require passwords meet complexity rules, and be changed on a regular
basis.

>What about physical server security, backups, backup tape storage and
>access? Don't know if these are even an issue, but I figured I'd drop >them
>in just in case.

I have considered physical security, but I forgot to add it to my list, good
point.  I have a backup plan, and while I consider backups very important, I
didn't really think they were part of my security setup, other than as part
of the physical security issue, and virus scanning. So to sum up:

26) Ensure physical security prevents unauthorized access.

Oh, and I've been removing the cd-rom and disk drives from the workstations
to help prevent software installation.  I guess that's:

27) Remove external input devices such as cd-roms and disk drives where
possible

Chris Berry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"I have found the way, and the way is Perl."