Guys, I may be offside here, but although I see may great things in that
list, I see it as very high maintenance. When you are looking after 300
users across 40 sites it would be to difficult to maintain.

Here is my list, much more simple, much easier to maintain, however almost
as secure.

1. Develop good SOE, setup primary user as local admin.
2. Spend time developing your Firewall at all points of access to the
internet
3. Implement a proxy server and block what you desire.
4. Ensure all of your internet based systems are secure, use Tripwire or
other IDS's.
5. Don't use a Standard Linux operating system (i.e. Redhat, Mandrake, SuSe
etc) use a different non X-Windows distro)
6. Install Anti-Virus software on all PC's (Norton seems good) and ensure it
is updated regularly.
7. Install good mail scanning software, and ensure it updates at least
nightly.

On my network I have 5 points of access to the internet, and I am on US ip
addressing rather than Australian (meaning I get port scanned more than the
guy down the road). I don't go the whole Security through obscurity however
I do go down that path to some extent.

Thus I have gone 2 years with only one incident.

My mail scanning software (which has since been replaced) fell over and klez
infected 2 pc's.

Anyways, its food for thought.