> Yes, it can be done.. it would cost about 100k per drive and
> the ability to access an electron scanning microscope. At 30
> times I highly doubt they could recover anything of any value
> anyway. Using most commercially available products like
> "Encase", you can recover files that have been deleted, but
> not overwritten. Once the data is overwritten you are getting
> into using tools which are not available to the general
> public as far as I am aware.
>
> Mike

This is the reason that the standard destroying drives that contain
classified material is the physical destruction of the drive.  I am not
talking hitting the controller board with a hammer even, the platters need
to be destroyed.  From what I remember reading on this list, the prefered
methods are incineration, and / or a bucket of a strong acid.