I think you have confirmed a problem we already knew existed; the
application is really indifferent:

     A. Using yesterday's programs on today's network. Telent, anything
that starts with r, etc. These were
        used in the internet's infancy.
     B. Anything web enabled has something that can be exploited.
     C. Everything else falls under people enduser, administrator,
and/or developer
         1. Misconfigured or poorly configured apps,services, etc.
         2. Poorly written apps
            a. Apps that have tried to become things they really were
not meant to be.
            b. Apps that morph because some new protocol support or hot
new feature was being demanded by the
               market or the thinktank said this is what people would
want. "This what is going to be needed,
               the killer function, etc."
         3. Time - we just don't have enough of it to do all the
required research and testing very well. Not
            just good or well but, very well.

Finally, the biggest obstacle to security is thinking. We do not all
think alike.

If  you can't go through, go around, go under, go over, head off at the
pass, or retreat and regroup for later planning. The military does it
all the time.