One more time. I'll admit to being sucked in one last time. :-( This
really will be my last word on this thread, label that however makes you
feel better about it.

I can only assume you live in a bubble of self involvement. You outright
said in earlier posts that you have no security issues, that you have no
need for security tools, that you have fixed or selected software where
no security issues exist and do not require security prevention. Perhaps
you want to clarify what you really meant as opposed to what you
actually said? Which part of you have solved all security issues did I
misinterpret?

I am not interested in bashing Linux or any other OS users. I am against
arrogant admins or users (of any OS) who feel they have all the answers
and dispense advice based on that assumption. Unfortunately for the
growth potential of a promising OS, *some* of the more vocal Linux users
tend to be very immature, arrogant and closed to learning new things.
Sadly, this has caused Linux (most flavors) to remain a struggling
platform. I would like to see it be otherwise, it has tremendous
potential for specific areas.

What planet are you from? You did not know that IBM and HP make some of
the most widely used and secure UNIX flavors? Or are you just grasping
for a bashing implement by pretending to be a master of semantics?

Hey! I've got an idea (based on your apparent logic pattern). It might
rain somewhere one day. Just never go outside, then you don't need a
raincoat.

You clearly limit the options of whoever it is you are consulting for
with that kind of approach. I do not recommend anyone here take that
lead.

Yes, the original subject of this thread. Take note that I have made
suggestions, repeatedly, in every post geared directly toward that
original subject. Listing 10 specific applications to avoid is
ridiculous and unproductive. It is an exercise in both futility and
arrogance. Instead I have tried to make suggestions on an attitude to
approach these matters with, so options are not limited and forward
thinking is embraced. It concerns me to think that young and creative
minds here would get advice that, in essence, says, "This is the only
way to do it, any other way and you are wrong"

I do not recommend that any security or IT people take the attitude that
they have it all figured out. I recommend that they keep their options
open, consider the possibilities, be proactive, and provide solutions
that allow a business to function in today's interactive world in a way
the *business* wants. I always thought the correct work ethic was to
provide the service to the customer, not force the customer to do it "my
way or the highway" They are, after all, paying me to provide what they
ask for and need. I hope my creativity does not become so stagnant that
I ever have to say, "There is only way to do any of this"

And to help you out Mr. Greer. "Duh! That is obvious!" Yes it is, isn't
it? Bears being said anyway, particularly for the those in an early
learning curve. Too bad that approach seems to be outside your thinking
sphere.

As for the poster who asked for things to be cited regarding the
compromise and flaw rankings, it has been in the media, in trade
reports, on web sites, in security newsletters. I read these things, I
research and keep current. Google it yourself, don't ask me to do all
the work for you. Please don't take the old and tired approach that if
it is negative about MS, IBM or whoever it is completely true, but if it
is negative about Linux, its Linux bashing and lies. Linux deserves
better than that. That attitude didn't work for MS or IBM, it isn't
going to work for Linux either.

Also, if anyone is going to try to make swipes on semantics or someone's
interpretation of statements, don't turn around and do it yourself in
the same sentence. That gives such an air of desperation and closed
mindedness.

Perhaps wrongly, I assumed the security basics list was all encompassing
where it relates to security basics. I did not view it as belonging to a
select few based on their personal view of what constitutes a computer
expert and what they view as the only correct options. I don't know,
seems to me the world is just a little more diverse than that.

Best Regards,

Dan Bartley