  I think it's an open question whether a device should respond to a
ping (ICMP Echo Request) received as a broadcast.  Writers of some TCP
stacks have chosen to do so, others have not.

> 2.  However, with the computer on the Internet I mentioned (which I am
> telneting to), there were the following IPs:  192.168.1.0,
> 192.168.1.1,
> 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, and 192.168.1.255 - which I found through
> doing an nmap scan.  (pinging 192.168.1.255 produced no results in the
> arp table)  Three are apparently Cisco routers (192.168.1.0 and
> 192.168.1.255 are both ping-able).  When doing nmap, it shows
> 192.168.1.255 as remote, the others as local.  However, when I do a
> traceroute on these supposedly local ones, it shows a number
> of hops out
> over the Internet, implying that they are not connected locally.  Does
> this make sense?

  If you traceroute to an address that is not on a locally-connected
subnet, but your local gateway has a default route, the trace will follow
that route.  This process can repeat for multiple hops.

> 3.  I recently checked my firewall (Network ICE), and noticed
> an attack
> from this IP:  192.168.1.113.  I tried to ping the attacking
> IP, but no
> response.  The attack details were these:
> TCP OS Fingerprint, and then FTP Port Probe.  Does this make
> any sense?
> How can someone use a supposedly local IP (192.168) to attack me?
> (Cable modem with 2 computers hooked up).

  By default, routing is based on *destination*.  As long as the attack
packets had your public address in their destination field, they could
be delivered to you.
  But your trace back had this RFC1918 address as its destination.  As
above, this may propagate for several hops, but eventually you'll hit
somebody who either explicitly recognizes it as a garbage destination,
or simply doesn't have a default route and lets it fall on the floor.