-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Otstot [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 10:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bear in mind that SUS only supports OS patches. Application patches, Service
Packs, etc. are not handled by SUS.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/susfaq.asp
This does NOT mean that SUS isn't useful, only that it does have limitations
(e.g It can't be used for MS Office, which may be a drawback for your
workstations).
You may also want to look at Shavlik's HFNetChk LT for free products. I
believe you can do *some* application patching with it).

If you are looking to do more than simply rollout OS-level security updates,
you may well want to reconsider the commercial products.
There are a number of solid products (Shavlik's HFNetChkPro, Patchlink and
Update Expert all performed well in tests I've performed) that will allow
you to more comprehensively manage your patch levels than the free tools
alone.
I would certainly investigate their capabilities (if you haven't already) to
determine if any of the products provide you enough extra benefits to
justify the cost.

Charlie

--
E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an