On Fri, 28 May 2021 02:50:55 GMT, Weijun Wang <wei...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.desktop/share/classes/java/awt/Component.java line 630:
>>
>>> 628:         }
>>> 629:
>>> 630:         @SuppressWarnings("removal")
>>
>> I'm confused. I thought the reason this wasn't done in the JEP
>> implementation PR is because of refactoring
>> that was needed because of the usage in this static block and you could not
>> apply the annotation here.
>> Yet it seems you are doing exactly what was supposed to be impossible with
>> no refactoring.
>> Can you explain ?
>
> There *is* a tiny refactoring here: a new variable `s2` is introduced so the
> 2nd `doPrivileged` call on line 636 is now also in a declaration statement
> (for `s2`) and therefore annotatable. Without this I cannot add the
> annotation on line 635.

Ok. But I will quote you
"This happens when a deprecated method is called inside a static block. The
annotation can only be added to a declaration and here it must be the whole
class"

So the way you explained this before made it sound like any time there was any
SM API usage in a static block, the entire class needed to be annotated.

Why has the explanation changed ?