Update:

* Not all address book tools support vCard properly. Most notably, MS Outlook
is not able to import lists of many contacts at once (it only gets the first
contact in a list). Outlook is broken in this was at least up to 2007, later
versions were not tested yet. Outlook also sometimes has problems with
character encoding that were not observed with other tools.
* Mac Address Book, KDE Kontact, and Mozilla Thunderbird were reported to work
properly.
* Mac Address Book does not understand the vCard info "CLASS" (level of
confidentiality) and displays it as a note.
* Tools show different behaviour if you import the same contacts multiple
times. Every contact has an internal identifier, so tools can in principle
recognise that you already have that data. But some tools prefer to compare
names and suggest merging of contacts. Some just duplicate entries when you
import the some person anew.

We are interested in learning about the performance of other tools as well.
Feel free to drop us a line.

SMW's vCard support has been improved further:

* First and last name are now guessed if they are not given. This is useful
since some tools do not work well if these are not given. A "formatted name"
that is used for normal display in most tools is always given.
* In addition to the fields in my first mail, vCard now supports the following
printout fields:
 extraname (one or more "middle names")
 prefix (something like "Dr." or "Mr.")
 suffix (something like "jun.")
 name (formatted name used for display, default is the wiki page name)

Cheers,

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch