On 02/25/2013 10:27 PM, Jeroen De Dauw wrote:
>> (because they had an extension accessing the DB directly).
>
> Ignoring abstractions like this and making oneself dependent on private
> internals of a system leads to fragility and rigidity. This is not good.
> I strongly oppose doing effort to not break compatibility with such code
> as a general rule since this would encourage bad practices.

This was only chosen as an example why someone might want to use a
particular SMW version a while longer, but you are right, of course,
this is indeed bad practice and I also would not spend effort to keep
compatibility. However, if you know about it, you should at least state
the incompatibility, because you will not only punish the developers
(who might not even care any more), but the users (who happen to just
now need this particular extension very much). Seems far-fetched? Try
the Semantic TreeView extension.

I think a better way to approach this would be to stick to the review
process, even if it was more effort. (Although it probably would not
have helped the TreeView.)

Cheers,
Stephan