Hi,

>> Just to clarify: are you saying that the need to support older versions of
>> MediaWiki, and specifically 1.19, makes certain features in SMW impossible?

I'm not saying it is impossible but as soon as you start using "if"
statements to accommodate releases you introduce dependencies which
will invite bugs to appear because the underlying method that is
executed can act differently depending on the "if" release used.

>> adding them more difficult, because of the need to add in a bunch of "if"
>> statement

I would say, release dependant "if" statements are always a bad design
choice and should be avoided at all costs (see above, you can't
predict a methods outcome due to an exogenous variable (namely an
introduced release dependency)).

PS: For example [1](it could be worst but haven't found any other
example) which only carries a minor incision in how to get to the page
content but it is still an "if" statement too many and bloating the
code from its core purpose.

[1]
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/extensions/SemanticMediaWiki.git;a=blob;f=includes/queryprinters/FeedResultPrinter.php#l259

Cheers