Hi,

One important thing Jeroen pointed out is :

"Most interest in SMW is coming from outside the core MediaWiki community,
and for them the current workflow is not only confusing, it is a big
hassle."

If this is true, then its one BIG reason to support GitHub - getting more
contributors.

My confusion was that there would be documentation in two directions.
MW.org would state that I could clone SMW from Gerrit and submit a change
whereas smw.org would suggest GitHub. If you are supporting both (as you
clarified) there is still this confusion, but at least one can still
progress in any direction. The confusion can be removed if we keep the
documentation about Gerrit and suggest GitHub as an *easy* alternative.

However, we have to be extremely careful that we don't end up in a
push/merge conflict mess. It sounds like you will be merging both ways
between Gerrit and Github, since you are still accepting changes (not just
the i18n ones) in Gerrit. Isn't this going to lead to a merge conflicts?

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 3:43 AM, Markus Krötzsch <
mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org> wrote:

> Hi Jeroen,
>
> making a writable secondary copy on GitHub is fine. It first sounded as
> it you wanted to abolish our gerrit repo completely (I think this is
> what people have replied to). We can also discuss this, but that will
> need a bit more time. The secondary GitHub repo will be a nive way to
> find out if this works well for us and for our (current and future)
> developers. So I am definitely in favour of trying this now (and thanks
> for clarifying the proposal).
>
> Cheers
>
> Markus

Cheers,