From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 1:20 PM
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: IMAP Development Pointers

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> There is no hierarchy.  They are just names.  The hierarchy is a fiction.
> Just adopt a convention for how IMAP wants to map the names into a
> hierarchy.
>
> No one said that user.folder should be interpreted as a child of the
inbox.
> It could be a peer.  In terms of the actual storage mapping, they ARE
peers;
> there is no hierachy.  You might decide to map inbox children (internally)
> as user.INBOX.folder.  But I do not want to change the basic inbox name
from
> user to user.INBOX because of existing repositories.

In fact I was under the impression that INBOX is a reserved folder name,
that it should always be there, and you are not allowed to create
subfolders of it.  I don't think many enforce the no-subfolder of INBOX
rule, and I may just be remembering wrong.

Anyway, the mail servers I am familiar with do place INBOX at the same
left as Sent, Draft, and whatever other top level folders you might have
rather than nesting everything under INBOX.  As these IMAP stores are
developers and we look to share POP3 and IMAP stores, the POP3 handler
will just know to always user user.INBOX.

--
Serge Knystautas
President