The mbox spool uses dot-locking using files (not symlinks) to deal with
other processes accessing the mbox
Because of the way the James POP server works the worst that's likely to
happen is you get some (or all) of the messages twice. This is because
the POP handler deletes all the messages in a store in one go, rather
than a message at a time

> Ed

<snip'd>