From: ext Noel J. Bergman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 4:50 PM
To: James Developers List
Subject: RE: Contributing a mailet

> spammers are getting very smart about bypassing normal anti-spam
> tools.

They have gone from being annoying, with dubious legal status for UCE, to
being outright criminals.  Spammers are behind the new worms that turn
consumer systems into mail daemons.  They can bypass whitelists by using the
address books of the systems they have infected, and distributing the
information so that databases of e-mail associations can be constructed.

> I feel that no other solution other than pure whitelisting will work
> in the long run.

> What alternative would you propose to whitelist-only email?

Are you familar with www.tmda.net?

There is a proposal where an MTA would validate that the IP address
attaching to it is a valid server for the MAIL FROM domain.  There are
proposals to have servers sign messages to verify that the message did,
indeed, originate from them.

        --- Noel