the merging process, which took almost 2 years (until now) will kill James, if it hasn't killed it already. Nobody knows which is the real head branch, etc.

It would be better if you rename 2.1(?), which is the production version (almost), and officially abandon the current head. If somebody wants something from the head he can create a new patch. But this assumes that there is somebody who knows what is in the head and have time for the project, and I guess there is no such person. There is nothing to lose, we don't use anything from the head anyway.

To: "'James Developers List'" <server-dev@james.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] POJO pattern

For example:
SMTPHandler -> CDISMTPHandler
                             -> SpringSMTPHandler
                             -> JCASMTPHandler
                             -> AvalonSMTPHandler

Please indicate your prefrence:

[ ] +1 I agree that Agnostic SDI style POJO's are an
effective first step and will participate in the development
work

The first step would be to remove Phoenix specific stuff and replace it with
Avalon stuff.

I don't understand wether we should wait for the merge (Noel?) or the
POJOification can start anyway

(AFAIK: 2_1_fcs is the branch having more features and more tested while
trunk is the branch with "Services" instead of deprecated "Components")

Probably the bigger difference between trunk and 2_1_fcs would be moved in
the Avalon<ComponentName> specific classes so the POJOification work would
also simplify the merging operations, isn't it?

Noel, can you, please, reply to this email I sent a few days ago in the
"branch differences"?
Intentional differences:

  - trunk has a released and updated version of Phoenix,
    which meant changes to lifecycle interfaces.

Will the new version run under Loom?

- trunk has some experimental changes that won't be kept.

What changes will not be kept? I've seen there is a lot of code change to move from avalon Components (Deprecated) to avalon Services: will this be kept? I see there are still 3 references to avalon components: core/AvalonMailStore, core/AvalonUserStore, mailrepository/filepair/RepositoryManager. ---------------------

Stefano