You mean like xwork / webwork ?

lol

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan Carlos Murillo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 3:15 PM
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: Proposal for Web Admin Console

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 16:48 -0500, Anne S wrote:

> Open source isn't quite known for it's terrific graphics, but we might

> be able to grab some pictures from clip art libraries assuming the
> license is OK.

Totally right on this one, i actually laughed out loud recalling some
stuff i've seen.  I will do some research and see if something nice is
available, maybe on Gnome or KDE projects.  If you can do them that
would be awesome, but lets look around a bit first and see if there is
something done that will save us some work.

I was also doing some thinking on the decoupling of the functionality
for administration and configuration.  Basically the general
architecture and not the actual implementation.

I was wondering if we could profit from using a Command interface with
an execute() method,  and a CommandInterpreter class that you basically
pass the parameters  and the Command name to and it will grab and
instance of the class and call its execute method.  Command classes
would return a Result object that can contain a status property
('success', 'failure','in progress'), a message property (for error
messages for example') and a data object (ArrayList of names, integer
count of users, etc).

This type of decoupling will allow us to reuse the different Commands so
that they may be called individually, say for example in 'change
postmaster address', or as a group (for wizard purposes), executing one
after the other and making sure they are all successful upon execution.T
This 'multicommand' concept would nicely fit inside a Command object.

Having Command objects will allow us to also decouple the mechanism that
does the calling, so we can have one implementation of the caller that
is used by RemoteManager and another used by JMX, etc.  Additionally,
this keeps the code for each actions nicely partitioned inside each
Command object.

What do you think?

--
Juan Carlos Murillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>