From: Bernd Fondermann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 3:08 PM
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: Maven 2 and XBean

Alan Cabrera wrote:
> I'm going to investigate what it takes to convert James to maven 2 and
> XBean.  I realize that others may not like that idea.  My thinking is
> convert a small piece and solicit comments.

In general, I'd like the idea of James becoming more Container agnostic
very much. There are more than only one framework/container which could
spring to ones mind. (One of them even could be wrapping James into a
JCA)

I tried to dig up more information about (Geronimo) XBean's current
state (having briefly scanned the project somewhere in 2005 while it was

still at Codehaus). But there seems to be no real discussion on any list

or documentation how to use it. There are 'release'-tags in Geronimo SVN

but no downloads. What did I miss? Where is all the development going
on? Is it mature enough yet to deploy it in other project's codebases
like James?

Just taking James code into account, I think embedding it into another
container would be second after making James more POJO-ish or otherwise
decoupling its components from its current container.

Another question: maven-izing and XBean-izing - are these two separate
efforts or are they somehow interdependent?

Anyway, I'd like to know what comes out of this XBean experiment!

   Bernd