On Dec 1, 2007 12:53 AM, Noel J. Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

> > 3. to understand more about the entry of JAMES
>
> You are talking about injecting messages into JAMES.

yep

easy ways to inject messages is a frequent request from users and
those extending JAMES

> One way: provide a
> simple wrapper around JavaMail.  Sure, we can use JMS and provide a Queue.
> Do you suggest that client coding for JMS would be easier,

maybe not so much easier as more familiar to the mainstream JEE crowd

> and what happens
> when a message arrives on the queue?  I don't mean the JMS coding on our
> side -- that's trivial --

the connection in JAMES is reasonable straightforward since ActiveMQ
supplies the embedded JMS server (which is the hard bit).

> what do we do with the message?

exactly :-)

take a look at the experimental code. it's just an outline really. but
if anyone's interested in developing it, it should just be a case of
starting to extend the main classes...

MailMessageListener is responsible for extracting the mail content
from the message. it's just processes text messages ATM.  (if anyone
wants to support anything more complex please feel free to dive in or
submit patches to JIRA.)

MailBuilder is the strategy for converting message content -> Mail.
support for wild emails has wrinkles but for generated emails (which i
suspect is the primary use case for many JEErs) even a simple
implementation should be ok. (FetchMail has a comprehensive
implementation capable of dealing with wild emails which could be
ported.) the mail->recipient mapping would be done here. ATM only text
is supported. if developers want to add more, that'd be cool.

MailConsumer is the mail sink. this encapsulates what's done with the
message. ATM the only implementation calls sendMail. again, other
implementations would be great.

i'm not sure that the APIs are quite right (MailBuilder) but i like
the simplicity and the structure feels right to me

<snip>

> > > Interoperate with what?
> > JEE via JMS
>
> JEE is about an application intrastructure consisting of containers,
> container managed components, protoocols, services.  JMS is a messaging
> abstraction.  JavaMail is also part of JEE.  JAMES could use JMS to receive
> messages, but as I said ...

i'm not sure i understand the point

- robert