Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Stefano Bagnara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 This make sense, BUT, who will be interested in releasing trunk after IMAP
is removed?

who's interested in releasing IMAP? not me, for one. i can live very
happily enough without any releases for the forseeable future.
releases attract users, not developers.

True. Just take into consideration that many JAMES developers knew JAMES as users and then decided to start hacking the code.
1) Releases attract users that could be future developers
2) Releases give some developers motivations/satisfaction to keep working.

I, for one, started as an user of the 2.1 and then 2.2 and then I've had to fix/change a lot of code and decided to try to be a developer, I'm very happy for 2.3.0, and then I stopped because I had no enough energy/motivation to make another release like that one and I see no way to release again. But this is me. And this is past.

IMAP is orthogonal to the community issues surrounding trunk. IMAP is
not tightly coupled to the rest of JAMES. if the community issues
remain unresolved when IMAP is ready for release, the easiest approach
would be to backport to a uncontroversial version.

the only way that trunk is going to get released is if someone steps forward

I agree. What I didn't agree is that removing IMAP is a step forward and that this is a community opinion. But I already said that I trust you on this. I will not -1 this. If this is needed then let's make another "top level" project, svn/james/imapserver (with no weird trees, please ;-) ), or let's push back to sandbox (I would hate this, but if THE COMMUNITY think it is better, I will not vote down this too).

i think that the lack of releases is unhealthy for the community. i
also understand that many developers feel frustrated. i see no reasons
why JAMES couldn't release a couple of components a month for the next
year or so provided that the people who want more releases step
forward.

I think you understand that when this community try for real and concretely to release something I always try to help someway (site stuff, release tests, maven issues). Just don't ask me to push things. I gave up with pushing :-) . I will join when I see something I consider concrete and realistic.

And THANK YOU for all your effort. If you was not here we should probably have closed JAMES.

Stefano