On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org> wrote:
> Valentina Medici ha scritto:
>> Hi Stefano and hi all!
>>
>> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>>
>>> things wrong and there is nothing to do to fix it. But IMHO, before
>>> implementing any "workaround" to compensate for other developers errors
>>> we have to understand what application is creating similar messages
>>> and why.
>>
>> I must admit that I personally like your're optimistic point of view for
>> a better world, anyway in real (production) world it's not always
>> possible to do as you suggest.
>>

>>> I'm still interested in understanding the source of that kind of message.
>>> Maybe the full headers can say something about what code produced it and
>>> what IP produced it. Can you post them?
>>
>> Our application is a web application that receives xml messages
>> containing a MIME base64 encoded element. There are several external
>> producers (and so several problems in decoding ;)). As already stated we
>> must be able to accept (that is, to decode) as many messages as possible.
>>
>> Having said this, I don't think our headers can be of any use to you,
>> anyway some example follows.
>
> Instead they are usefull! This show that the "problematic" application
> is "Abderaware" (it is used in the multipart boundary).
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Abderaware
>
> Abderaware produced in past a .NET component for dealing with MIME.
>
> Unfortunately http://www.abderaware.com/ doesn't exists anymore (no
> wonder ;-) ) and now it is a parked domain. From few more searches it
> seems that the component was around in 2002.
>
> It seems the library was named Mail.NET and one of its components is
> MIME.net. I made a few searches but I can't find up-to-date info or a
> new home/name for the library.
>
> I also find interesting the "Content-Type: type/subtype" stuff.. It
> really smell.
>
> This issue is in the same group as:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J-58
>
> We should find a way to add similar workarounds to mime4j "optionally"
> because most of them degrades performace.

+1

one design option would be to have an extension parser that handles
many more malformed messages than the fast one. users would be able to
start parsing optimistically assuming a conformant message with the
quick parser. if this parse fails then the message could be re-parsed
with a more tolerant parser.

> Can you file a JIRA with your patch and description of the issue?

+1

- robert