On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>  <snip>
>
> Folks
>
> Take it for what it is worth to you.
>
> In the HttpClient / HttpComponents land we have to deal with lots of
> various HTTP protocol violations (or shall I say imperfections). There
> has always been a lot of requests from users to incorporate workarounds
> for their immediate problems into the stock version of HttpClient. The
> only feasible approach that worked for us was to provide a plug-in
> mechanism for components that might require different degree of
> tolerance to a particular type of HTTP messages and to let the users
> provide custom implementations that suited their specific application
> needs.
>
> Oleg

I like that idea.. What mechanism do you use to inject the plug-ins?
System properties or something more sophisticated?

With Mime4j we have AbstractEntity.newBodyDescriptor() which is
responsible for creating a MutableBodyDescriptor.. Maybe this could be
the place where a custom body descriptor could be injected.
DefaultBodyDescriptor could do some of the parsing in protected
methods to allow a subclass to overwrite them..

There may be better solutions of course..

Markus