2011/10/12 Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
> On 10/12/2011 11:36 AM, Eric Charles wrote:
>> Thx for launching the discussion and implementing in a sandbox :)
>>
>> I feel your focus is the maven-skin. Right?
>
> Well it's not that I'm focussing on maven-skin (anyway the name might be
> confusing ...) but I remember when started in the James project. It was
> really hard to figure out the hierarchy parent poms. Some where referencing
> james-project, others james-parent. Having a quick look at the filesystem I
> could not find a short answer because I found it quite a mess.

I am the author of the mess :-)
So, I try to explain why it worked that way, but it's been a while, so
I'm not sure I remember the details.

I did loose a lot of time with try and error to reach the current
structure and I settled to that structure because it was the only one
that worked fine with maven, maven site, the skin and the release
process.
Now, since I did that we use a new maven version (3 vs 2) and a lot of
new "site-plugin" versions have been released and maybe they fixed the
issues that prevented me to use a simpler layout, so feel free to
change it.

Just remember to test also the release process as it easy to have
circular dependencies between the skin and the parent using the skin
(unless you want duplication of configuration between parent and the
skin you will have skin to depend on parent).

I'm sorry I have no time currently to give good answers to your other
questions, feel free to go ahead if you find an easier working
solution.
Stefano