Hello Noel,

First many thanks for your engagement that I believe did allow to have
the amazing piece of software we have today.

Apparently James 2.3 fails to talk SMTP with a modern Zimbra server,
expects a 'dot' terminated stream. This 'bug' do not occur on modern
James versions.

Do we also maintain Apache Excalibur [1] ? Retired in 2010... As far as
I get it, James 2.x actively relies on it.

[1] https://excalibur.apache.org/

That, is one of many dependencies, to be fairly honest I would not be
surprised a careful dependency audit finds hundreds of CVEs. Not to
mention the use of outdated java versions. Given the effort, do we, as a
community want to engage with serious maintenance of Apache James 2.3.x
? I have not seen security updates for years

Also, new upcoming users are not fully aware of the state of that
application, and might mistakenly believe they would get Apache grade
quality (security, backed by an active community, etc...)

In my opinion we should at the very least stops advertising that
version, that means:

 - Archive related downloads
 - Remove references from the website

That is our responsibility.

Stating clearly as a community that we no  longer assume maintining it would be
better to me.

Best regards,

Benoit